Monday, October 8, 2012

Turkey burgers- Good nutrients for running well



 When I'm training hard my body craves protein and I am more satisfied when I get this from meat. With high mileage comes a high appetite and after a long run I tend to crave a fattening burger. Since I know this I try and make sure I am prepared with a healthy satisfying alternative. I make these turkey burgers up in a big batch and freeze up in individual servings. That way when I get home from a hard training session I can cook up a meal quickly that feeds my muscles with lean protein and is loaded with healthy nutrients.

"I am so addicted to these burgers I have a hard time not eating them for every meal!"

This recipe has chicken livers in it. Don't be afraid to try them even if you don't like chicken liver. My husband absolutely hates liver and LOVES these burgers. It adds a ton of rich meaty flavor to the turkey. If your really spooked by the liver, try using only a couple. I think you will be surprised by the delicious flavor it adds. Chicken liver has tons of nutrients beneficial to runners-Iron, B12, Vitamin A, Folate, Riboflavin, Selenium just to name a few. Check out this website for a list of benefits of these nutrients.


  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 2 handfuls of shredded Swiss cheese ( I like Jarlsberg)
  • 4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds (I use salted but you can use what you like)
  • Sea salt to taste- I use approx 2 tsp
  • 6 chicken livers chopped up tiny in tiny pieces with veins removed
  • 2 pounds of ground turkey


Mix all ingredients together. Make 8-12 patties. I flatten them out to the size of bread I'm eating them on. The extra patties I put between parchment paper, then put in a freezer bag and freeze.  Grill in pan with a tiny bit of hot olive oil, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Once you set them in the hot oil don't move until you flip, that way you get a nice crust on the outside of patty. Remove from pan to build your sandwich.

I build my sandwich using whole grain soft bread, spread with Hellman's mayonnaise, and topped with chopped Romaine lettuce and sliced onion. Be creative and come up with your own favorite toppings. I would love to hear how you build your turkey burger!

No comments:

Post a Comment