- Large handful of raisins or cranberries
- 3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (cool before adding to salad)
- 1 pound Kale cleaned, drained and dried off well: I have a great CSA program with Troggs Hollow. They grew a variety of different kinds of Kale which was really fun to use. I've also made the salad with the curly Kale that is easy to find at stores. It is yummy either way!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey (I was a little heavy on the honey)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Use a knife to cut out the tough mid-rib of each Kale leaf and discard. Slice the leaves in to 1/4 inch wide slices. I like to stack the leaves together, roll up in a cigar shape, then slice into slivers. Put the kale slivers into a big bowl.
Whisk dressing ingredients together is a small bowl
Add the raisins, cooled toasted almonds and dressing to the kale. Mix up and put in a travel bowl. It held up for me for 1 week (then I ran out). Fresh Kale salad holds up really well in a cooler. I used this recipe on many of my summer road trips. You can add grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese on it if you would like. I did not use the cheese while traveling. When using a cooler I try and use as little cheese or milk products. They go bad much easier.