Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cactus Rose 100- It's almost here!


Cactus Rose 100:  Bandera, Texas - October 26, 2013 
Race start: 5am Saturday  (36 hour time limit)  
Race description-
No Whiners, Wimps, or Wusses : A nasty rugged trail run
Bonus Points for Blood, Cuts, Scrapes, & Puke

"Sounds like fun- let's sign up!!!"-Michele, Holly, Tim



I'm road tripping to this race with 2 of my dear friends, Holly and Tim.  We are camping at the race start.  It will be Tim's first 100 mile race. WooHoo! He is going to do great! We all are! Planning, training and talking about training together has been a lot of fun. I am grateful to get to share this experience with my crazy friends!

Training has been going well. During the last 5 weeks I have ramped up my weekends with solid long runs. Running 22-26 miles on Saturdays. I have done these runs on the most rugged  trails I can find near my home. Then I backed these up with a 10 to 16 mile run on Sunday. I've also gotten out on the trails at night during the week for a medium length run. I used these runs for speed work, running the first half easy then finishing up at tempo to marathon pace. I run 5-7 days a week.  Every week the runs have gotten easier and easier. Now it's time to put it together for 100 miles! 

A little about the race...

The race is self supported.  You arrive at your drop bags every 5 miles. I've been planning my drop bags for weeks. One thing I got that I'm pretty excited about is self heating cans of Chicken Soup. Hot chicken soup has brought me back from the dead at 100 mile races so this was a great find. Other supplies include ensure, fruit, paydays, homemade almond bars, Sprite, S Caps, and Wet ones. The race supplies ice, water and a well marked 25 mile looped course. The course direction changes after each loop.

36 hours is a long cut off time. Most 100's are 30 hours. A long cut off time is a sign of a really tough course.

Creepy Critter WARNING- It's been said we need to watch out for Giant rattlesnakes on the course. I found this picture on the Internet of a rattlesnake caught in Texas in the general area of the race. I'm not sure you can believe everything you read on the Internet, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared...

Giant Texas size rattlesnakes- "Everything is bigger in Texas"


Never hurts to be prepared....

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE 


1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks 
1/2 cup flour 
1/4 cup cornmeal 
1/4 cup cracker crumbs 
1/2 cup milk 
1 egg 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt) 
1 teaspoon salt 
dash pepper 

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks. Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown. 

Haha!!! Hope we don't need to use this recipe! All kidding aside. I am really looking forward to this challenge. I can't wait to see my Texas friends! Yee Haw!!! Let's do this!
~Happy trails - Michele


2 comments:

  1. If you come face to face with that giant rattlesnake and don't take a picture of it I will never speak to you again!! :) Good Luck! I know you will kick some Texas-seized a$$ out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott, I'll do my best! I will surely be thinking about you kicking butt at Sawtooth. Others showing us how it's done helps us find strength we may not have know we have. You rock!!
      Haha!!! I will make sure to get a good picture of me and the Giant Texas rattlesnake!

      Delete